P&O Cruises Australia is giving its loyal guests yet another exciting opportunity to experience some of Australia's best coastal destinations with an amazing 28-night ‘Australian Explorer’ circumnavigation around mainland Australia.
It is a first-of-its-kind sailing for P&O Cruises and a headline feature of the new 2023/24 program, building on a nearly 90-year history of cruising in Australia and defining P&O’s proud reputation as the nation’s homegrown cruise line.
Such an extensive and exciting voyage around mainland Australia means P&O will be delivering opportunities to a wide range of suppliers and regional destinations including farmers, tour operators and entertainers.
P&O Cruises’ Pacific Explorer will host the inaugural voyage departing either from Brisbane or Sydney in June 2024.
Guests will experience the attractions of 11 iconic Australian ports including state capitals and regional centres with Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Albany, Fremantle, Exmouth, Broome, Kuri Bay, Darwin, Cairns and Airlie Beach on the spectacular itinerary, along with a call at Ambon in Indonesia. The cruise also includes scenic cruising of Yampi Sound and Raft Point in the Kimberley region.
P&O Cruises Australia President Sture Myrmell said: "The 'Australian Explorer' cruise is a powerful reminder of P&O's proud history working with tour operators and a wide range of businesses to offer guests exceptional experiences onboard and at fantastic destinations."
The cruise is expected to contribute an estimated $20 million in economic activity including the combination of guest and crew spending, ship supplies and port-related costs.
Some of the businesses and suppliers at destinations on the extensive itinerary, and who look to cruising to support their tourism success, include:
- Cairns — 'Bad Fishy Jet Boating' operated by couple Nikki Giumelli and Patrick McLoughlin who offer cruise visitors a high energy adrenaline pumping jet boat experience of Tropical North Queensland's tourism hub.
- Airlie Beach — ‘Ocean Rafting’ with Jan and Peter Claxton offering a spectacular waterborne view of the jewels of the Whitsundays.
- Sydney — ‘Select Fresh Providores’ where Steven Biviano and his team supply the best local produce that helps make dining in P&O ships something to remember.
- Melbourne — ‘Localing’, a luxury private touring business founded by Dean Hampel and Daniel Platt who offer city experiences and regional day tours that put guests in touch with local culture and life.
- Broome — ‘Broome Transit’, a local tourism and coaching powerhouse established by Shayne Murray who began building his business 12 years ago with a taxi service.
The ‘Australian Explorer’ cruise is among the 23 Australian-focused cruises featured in P&O’s new 2023/24 program.
Together, the domestic itineraries will help support scores of local businesses offering a dazzling range of shore tours that encompass cultural experiences, the best of food and wine, family-friendly pursuits and many other activities to capture the imagination of guests.
P&O Cruises Australia’s new ‘Australian Explorer’ cruise and 2023/24 program will go on sale on Wednesday 13, October.