We strongly encourage you to take out international travel insurance once you have booked your cruise holiday, even for domestic and short cruises, to ensure you are covered if things don’t quite go according to plan. Travel insurance may be able to provide cancellation cover for your cruise and any other travel arrangements, including shore tours, as well as medical cover.
Please note that New Caledonia requires all visitors to hold valid international travel insurance. If your cruise itinerary includes ports in New Caledonia, you will need to show printed proof before you board of having valid international travel insurance. You may also be requested to present proof of insurance during the cruise. Any guest who is unable to provide proof of valid travel insurance on a cruise visiting New Caledonia, will be denied boarding.
It’s important to be aware that our onboard medical centres are outside the scope of Australian Medicare, New Zealand Accident Compensation Corporation, and private health insurance. All charges for consultations including assessment for COVID-19, treatments and medication must be paid by for while onboard, and may be able to be claimed through your travel insurance.
Make sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) of any insurance policy you are considering to ensure it provides the type of cover you need for your cruise, including any pre-existing conditions, and if there are any exclusions that may apply. If you plan on participating in activities such as scuba diving or parasailing, ensure your policy covers these activities.
Your credit card may offer travel insurance coverage for medical emergencies, trip cancellations, baggage loss and other issues. Credit card travel insurance policies can differ to other travel insurance policies and you should request a copy of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to check the coverage and any exclusions that may apply. For example, some credit card travel insurance policies may not cover cruises.
If you plan to use credit card travel insurance for your cruise, there are some important reminders to be aware of:
- Not all credit cards offer complimentary or included travel insurance, and not all policies cover cruises.
- Some credit card insurance is only valid for the first 3-6 months of holding the card – please check your insurance is valid for the period you are travelling.
- Check with your bank to see if you need to activate your credit card travel insurance policy prior to your departure and ensure it will remain current for the duration of your cruise.
- Make sure the insurance covers all people travelling – not just the card holder.
- Ask your bank for a copy of your policy number and/or the Certificate of Insurance. Valid travel insurance is mandatory for all itineraries that visit New Caledonia and you will need to present proof at check-in. If you are unable to do so, you will be denied boarding.
- Additional information may need to be provided to your bank prior to credit card travel insurance being valid for your personal circumstances. For example, you may need to disclose a pre-existing medical condition.
Guests should ensure they read the PDS for any insurance policy they are considering ensuring it provides the level of cover they need, including cruise travel, and any pre-existing conditions.