Cruises to Moreton Island
So much to see, it won’t all fit on this page
Standing proud as one of the world’s largest sand islands, Moreton Island is one of mother nature’s greatest achievements and remains today much the same as thousands of years ago.
Moreton Island was put on the map after James Cook visited in 1770, naming the island’s headland "Cape Morton". (Today’s spelling came about through a later clerical error which stuck.) Before this though, there is evidence that Aboriginal people occupied the island for over 2000 years. Settlement began in 1848 and after a series of shipwrecks in the area, Cape Moreton Light — Queensland’s oldest lighthouse — was built nine years later. Four more lighthouses followed and during World War II, defence buildings were constructed with up to 900 troops stationed on the island.
After this, besides a decade of whaling on the western side of the island between 1952 and 1962 and some years of small scale sand mining, the island has been devoted to a leisurely existence with its population comprised of mostly holiday makers, oyster farmers and an abundance of land and marine life. Where the whaling station once was, you can now find Tangalooma Island Resort — a family owned resort known around the world for its one-of-a-kind wild dolphin feeding program spanning over 30 years.
At A Glance
298 (2011 census)
Moreton Island Shore Tours
Guest favourites, the most booked Shore Tours at this port
Our handpicked Shore Tours are a must for any guest.