Vanuatu Single Origin Aelan Chocolate Icing
Allergens – Gluten, Dairy, Alcohol, Sugar, Eggs
Ingredients for Sponge:
- 250 g all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 250 g granulated sugar
- 70 g dark brown sugar
- 70 g unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 10 g baking soda
- 5 g baking powder
- 6 g salt
- 240 g natural yoghurt
- 100 g vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 12 g vanilla extract
- 200 ml Grand Marnier syrup for soaking
Method for Sponge:
- Move rack to middle of oven and preheat the oven to 170 C / 350°F. Butter a cake pan and line bottom with parchment round. Dust pan with flour. Tap out any excess flour and set aside pan.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together yoghurt, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, sugars, dark cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and sieve into a bowl.
- Fold the dry mixture by hand into the wet mixture until just combined.
- Evenly pour batter into pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Test doneness with a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done!
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then invert onto a greased rack to cool. When cooled completely, slice into three discs.
Ingredients for Chocolate Grand Marnier Mousse:
- 1 litre whipping cream
- 180 g pasteurized egg yolks
- 125 g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 425 g dark chocolate, melted
- 150 g Grand Marnier
Method for Chocolate Grand Marnier Mousse:
- Whip 2/3s of the cream to soft peaks and refrigerate.
- Warm the remaining 1/3 of the cream to hot. Put the yolks into the bowl of a mixer with the whisk attachment and begin whisking.
- Cook the sugar with the salt to dark caramel and then deglaze with the hot cream. Bring back to a boil and remove from the heat.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour the hot caramel down inside of the mixer bowl into yolks. Whip on medium speed to 35˚C. Fold in the Grand Marnier.
- Mix some sabayon into the melted chocolate to lighten.
- Fold the chocolate into the sabayon and then fold the cream into the sabayon.
Ingredients for Ganache:
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 300 g dark chocolate
- 200 g Vanuatu chocolate 70%
Method for Ganache:
- Bring the cream to a boil and fold in the chocolate, till reaching a smooth ganache.
Assembly of the cake:
- Moisten each layer generously with a Grand Marnier syrup.
- Spread the mousse between the layers.
- Ice the cake with chocolate ganache.
- Set into fridge to cool and settle.
- Garnish with swirl of chocolate Grand Marnier mousse.
- Plate with homemade chocolate sauce.